Girls on the Run® is a 501c3 physical activity-based positive youth development (PA-PYD) program designed to develop and enhance girls’ social, psychological, and physical competencies to successfully navigate life experiences. The Girls on the Run® program combines training for a 5k with an interactive curriculum targeting the promotion of competence, confidence, connection, character, caring, and contribution.
Girls on the Run® creates a psychologically safe environment for girls to learn about themselves, connect with others, and contribute to the community. Focus on competition and ability in physical activity contexts is often a barrier for participation for girls. Girls report more enjoyment, satisfaction and positive relationships with others in climates focused on improvement, skill mastery, effort, and peer support. Take a moment to learn more about Our Program.
Girls on the Run is a physical-activity based positive youth development program. Program participants learn to:
- Develop and improve competence
- Feel confidence in who they are
- Develop strength of character
- Respond to others and oneself with care and compassion
- Create positive connections with peers and adults
- Make meaningful contribution to community and society