Volunteering for Girls on the Run is a wonderful way to make an impact in young girls’ lives. Our volunteers help with everything from coaching a team of girls, to organizing our 5K event, to helping put together coaches bags and much more.
We need volunteers for both of our end of season 5Ks on May 13th and May 20th. See our 5K Volunteer info below.
Here are some of our different volunteer opportunities. Click on the opportunity that interests you to learn more.
Consider volunteering to be a Coach! Our Spring Season is from March – May and our Fall Season is September - November.
GOTR Rockies relies on volunteers to help us coach our programs. Coaches work directly with the 3rd-5th grade or 6th-8th grade girls – teaching them healthy habits and training them for the big 5K race! Each team consists of 2-3 coaches and 8-20 girls. We do ask that coaches try to commit to 2 seasons of coaching. It is beneficial to both the girls and the coaches.
- Coaches must be available after-school hours.
- Our 10 week programs meet twice a week, after-school for an hour and a half. Coaches are expected to attend every session. Fall season is mid-September through mid-November. Spring season is Mid-March through mid-May.
- Coaches that are already associated with a school and listed on the site application must attend a 5-hour training.
- Coaches who are not already associated with a school must complete a coach application and attend one Coach Meet and Greet and one 5-hour training.
- All New coaches must attend one of the training sessions offered for the season.
- If you are interested in becoming a Girls on the Run coach, please submit a Coach Application and plan on attending one Coach Meet and Greet.
Are you 18 years and under and want to coach? See our Junior Coach Description below.
Serving as a Junior Coach is a fun and rewarding way for high school girls to get involved with Girls on the Run and make a difference in the lives of girls throughout their community. You get to experience the program first hand, feel a sense of accomplishment and have a ton of fun with your team of coaches and incredible girls!
- Junior Coaches must be available after-school hours (between 3-5pm).
- Our 10-week programs meet twice a week after-school for an hour and a half. Coaches are expected to attend every session or day they have committed to coaching. (You can chose one day a week to volunteer.) Fall season is mid-September to mid-November. Spring season is mid-March to mid- May.
- If you are interested in becoming a Girls on the Run Junior Coach, please submit a Junior Coach Application. Must be at least a freshman in High School.
Spend a day volunteering at our end of season race in Denver or Colorado Springs!
In May, the Girls on the Run of the Rockies program will have over 2,000 girls running a 5k as a celebration at the end of the season. We have two races with volunteer opportunities. We could not make this happen without the help of our GOTR 5k volunteers. Various volunteer tasks and time slots will be available.
Interested in helping on Race Day?
- To help at our Girls on the Run 5K on May 13th at Cherry Creek High School, click here to register as a volunteer.
Consider volunteering to be a Running Buddy!
Share a girl’s exhilaration and excitement as she crosses the finish line of her first 5K. For many girls, this is the biggest challenge and biggest accomplishment of Girls on the Run.
The goal of the 5K is for the girls to do their best and HAVE FUN! Girls are not encouraged to race competitively, but are encouraged to reach their own goals. For most girls, that means making it to the finish-line- whether it is by walking, running or skipping!
Running Buddy Volunteer Description: Running Buddies are female volunteers that run with girls who do not have a friend or a parent to run with them. The job of a Running Buddy is to accompany and encourage one or two girls through her 5K experience. That means running or walking at her pace and encouraging her to do her best, but also recognizing and respecting her limits. We will assign you to a program site that needs adults to run with their girls the morning of the race.
Running Buddies will be needed for both of our Denver 5K Races, the Girls on the Run 5K on May 13th at Cherry Creek High School and the Colfax 5K on May 20th in City Park.
May 13 Race at Cherry Creek High School Apply to Be a Running Buddy on May 13
May 20 Race at City Park (Colfax 5k) Apply to Be a Running Buddy on May 20
Colfax Buddies also need to register for the actual race via the Colfax Race Registration.
Parents and family friends do NOT need to register as buddies, but do need to register for the race.
Consider volunteering to provide Program Support! Want to be part of the program but can’t commit to coaching? This may be the place for you. We need volunteers for everything from stuffing envelopes and data entry, to promoting GOTR as an Ambassador or helping out at partner races/events. We also have opportunities for corporate and community groups! Grab your co-workers or running club members, to name a few, to make a difference in the lives of young girls in your community!
Here are a few of our current opportunities:
GOTR Ambassador: This opportunity is for those wanting to share their passion and the mission of Girls on the Run with the community. After attending an hour training session, you will be scheduled to go out into the community at upcoming local race expos, races, community events, school functions, etc. that Girls on the Run Rockies will attend. There are generally 2 people at each event, someone with direct experience with GOTR (coach, etc.) and someone that doesn’t have experience with us but embraces our mission and wants to share it. I will send out a list of events/dates/times. You have the flexibility to sign up for what works with your schedule. There are generally about 2-3 events a month, depending on the time of year. Many of these are on a Saturday or Sunday morning. The time commitment is typically 3 hours.
General Office Support: We need volunteers for everything from stuffing envelopes to data entry. Many of these tasks do not require you to come to our office during business hours and are flexible.
Partner Races/Event Support: There are a number of local races and events that promote/ benefit GOTR. We help them out and show our appreciation by providing volunteers. The tasks vary, but often include helping at registration, water stops, finish lines, etc.
The Girls on the Run Rockies Associate Board plays an integral role in helping secure the funds needed to continue bringing the Girls on the Run program to Title 1 Schools and schools with a high free-and-reduced-lunch percentage. Each year, more than 50% of participants come from low-income families and cannot afford the registration fee. Girls on the Run of the Rockies underwrites the cost for these girls to participate in the program. The Associate Board will play an active role in the development and execution of various fundraising activities. This is a non-governing board. >
- Serve 2 year term – with option to renew up to 3 terms (total of 6 years)
- Personal contribution of $100/year
- Active participation in monthly meetings (third Wednesday of the month) and board training sessions
- Identify, plan and execute fundraising events and initiatives
- Volunteer for special project committees
- Volunteer at fundraising and awareness events
- Recruit new volunteers and associate board members
Roles and Responsibilities:
If you are interested in applying, please email Katie Redfield at email@example.com.
Interested in helping but don’t see the perfect fit. Let us know. Get in touch with Karen with thoughts, ideas or ways you want to get involved.